Monday, July 19, 2004

Today's Featured Competitor: GreenCine

Any of you try GreenCine? They ship from San Francisco, CA, so discs take about five days to get to me here on the East Coast. They "carry the best selection of off-the-wall indie and arthouse". I've found a couple titles there that Netflix didn't have. I use it as a backup of Netflix.
 
I think the only way to make Netflix better is to have competition. I'm a big fan of free market economics, because I believe competition lowers prices and improves quality. OK, that's two topics in one post. Bad blogger.

5 comments:

  1. blockbuster offers the same service now. i believe its 24.95 a month unlimited rentals no late fees and two out at a time. i loved netflix, when i was a member, but what i didnt like was waiting for the mail and the limited availability of new releases. i have been a member of the blockbuster program for a month now and have already seen 95% of the NEW New releases before they are even available on netflix. well worth the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used GreenCine for about 6 months. their seletion of hard to find anime was awesome! Some of the wait times were brutal though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should also be noted that Green Cine has perhaps the single most essential cinema blog to be found, GreenCine Daily: http://daily.greencine.com/

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greencine is good in concept but s.o.o.o. s.l.o.w...

    I tried them for seven mos and hardly anything was ever available. Shipping was erratic --- sometimes good, other times astoundingly crappy. The problem is that they buy lots of different titles but don't stock many copies of each title so you can wait MONTHS or longer for some popular discs. From looking at their boards the problem has only gotten worse. they drove me back to Netflix and I have to say I have no complaints.

    Not recommended.

    ReplyDelete