Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The best way to cancel

You should use this method to cancel any online DVD rental subscription service, not just Netflix. I know that Netflix gives you seven days to return your outstanding rentals, but sometimes they do not receive all your returns. I suggest cancelling in three steps, to be sure you do not get charged for failing to return something after you've cancelled.

1. Empty your queue.* This stops them from shipping anything else.
2. Return everything you have out. This shouldn't take more than a week.
3. Check the Netflix site to make sure they've received them. Save the confirmation emails.
4. Cancel!

That's the only way I know of to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

All cancellations are effective immediately, and there are no refunds for unused portions of your billing cycle.

* Netflix saves your queue if you cancel, but not if you empty it first. If you really, really love your queue and want to keep it, upload it to Listology.com first. You'll need to add it in manually if you ever re-subscribe.

2 comments:

  1. I would also recommend returning all DVDs by priority mail with delivery confirmation that way there is NO question whether the DVDs were returned.

    I've read plenty of e-mails saying Netflix never received the outstanding DVDs and charged their account for them or continued to bill their account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I canceled my netflix account.
    When I restored it at least 6 months later, the queue was gone.

    ReplyDelete