Red Envelope Madness!

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Progress report on the 1001 Movies

It's been three months since I last reported on my quest to see all of the titles in Stephen Jay Schneider's book, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, the 2002 edition. I started in 2004, having seen about 200 of them, and now I have seen 978.

Netflix sent me 595 of them.

Of the 23 remaining, eight are in my Netflix Queue. I have three from Netflix at home. I bought two on eBay. One I have to rent at the video store. One I have to watch at the UNC Chapel Hill library. The final eight are unavailable on home video, or if available, in a foreign language without English subtitles.

I'm going through the book in chronological order, and I just finished the decade of the Nineties.

If you're working on the same list, please let me know how far along you are. I haven't heard of anyone who has completed the list yet. You can track, share, and compare your progress on the fourth edition (2006) of the book at Lists of bests.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 8/17/2007 3:18 PM, Blogger Lone Grasshopper said…

    I've seen about 10 Netflix movies by now. I cannot imagine 500!

    I think it would be fun to watch all the movies on a 'best' list, but I don't think I ever will because those lists are full of gory or scary movies like _The Godfather_. I'd rather watch _50 First Dates_ over and over than watch a realistic movie about the mob.

    I watched many scary movies in my youth, but I just cannot watch them anymore.

     
  • At 8/18/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    There are many movies much scarier than The Godfather on the list of 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

     
  • At 8/23/2007 4:29 AM, Blogger Drewbacca said…

    978? Damn that's impressive! Good job. You are now a film arts Jedi Master.

     
  • At 3/27/2008 7:26 AM, Blogger Loucindy said…

    Congratulations, that's amazing!

    I have also been working on this list. I started in 2006 but have seen only about 200.

    I am very curious about the ones you mentioned are not attainable for viewing. I would love a list of those films. You can email me at: lrperlle at yahoo. I'd really appreciate it.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home