Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Dragon*Con 2005 notes

I've returned from Dragon*Con. Had a good time. Out of the 68 screened, I managed to see 54 short films and one feature length. You can see the list of films I viewed here. My pick for the best, which also won the Best in Fest Live Action category and the Best in Fantasy category, is Apartment 206. Another that you might want to seek out is The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello (2005), winner of the Best of Fest (Animated) and Best Animated Fantasy & SciFi awards.

The Dragon*Con Independent Film Festival is turning into quite a serious show. I love the mix of genres in both Animated and Live Action (Fantasy, Comedy, Horror, Science Fiction, Parody, and Thriller). The festival screened films 24 hours a day, with few repeats, which is why I missed a few. I met film makers from Australia and Italy. I got a chance to tell them about Netflix and encouraged them to see if Netflix would distribute their films, because short films are seldom seen in theatres.

I ran into a couple of evacuees from Louisiana and Mississippi. I was amazed they made it to the convention and were having a good time, despite their problems back home.

The convention offered free preview screenings of Eternal and Hellbent, which I couldn't attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment