Monday, September 26, 2005

New Netflix drop point in Wichita, KS

Dropping in

If you're a Netflix subscriber you may have noticed a Wichita postmark on recent movies delivered to your house.

That's because the California-based company that mails movie rentals now has a local drop point.

'The drop point speeds it up a little bit,' says Steve Swasey, director of corporate communications.

You probably won't notice that much of a difference, though. Swasey says a Netflix distribution center that opened in Kansas City, Mo., in March 2004 has made the difference in getting movies sent faster.
Via Kansas.com

2 comments:

  1. Being in Wichita, I saw that in the paper.

    I thought it was funny, because when the KC DC opened up in 2004, it didn't change my delivery times one whit. They averaged the same as the Texas DC I had been getting discs from.

    What I'm trying to figure out is why, if this is just a _drop point_ in Wichita, my times have been reduced _both ways_. In fact, my return times are averaging slightly higher than my shipping times. Most of the time, it's taking just one day each way... sometimes it takes two days to return, but since the Wichita location went into use, shipments to me have taken exactly one day. How does a drop point affect the _to me_ mailing times? It sure _feels_ like I've got a DC in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the way a drop point works is Netflix drops a truckload off at the USPS drop point each day, from where it is then delivered to your residence. For returns, the USPS picks it up from your residence, takes it to a USPS location, and Netflix sends a truck each day to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete