Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I'm fixin' to quit Blockbuster Online

I joined Blockbuster Online for the one month free trial, and then they gave me several months of the 3-out plan for $9.99, so I didn't quit, even when that promotion ended and the price went to $14.99. I've been a member for about a year now.

However, Hacking NetFlix is reporting, and I received notice from Blockbuster Online, that BBO is finally ending the $14.99 3-out plan. I am going to quit a couple days before the price goes up to $17.99. For that amount of money, it is my opinion that Netflix is the better deal. My Netflix distribution center is in Greensboro, NC, where I live, whereas the Blockbuster Online distribution center is in Charlotte, NC. As for BBO shipping from stores, that hasn't been better for me. It's been worse, because the stores are farther away and take longer to respond. The in-store coupons are of no value, because the nearest Blockbuster Video has a lousy selection of titles.

5 comments:

  1. You know I have noticed that myself. I have had DVDs sent from a store which is 10 minutes from my house and took 4-days one time to arrive. Obviously, the stores take their time in shipping out the DVDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to consider the P2P alternative to both Netflix and Blockbuster - Peerflix. Peerflix lets you recycle the existing set of DVDs online and get fresh ones from other people doing the same thing. For instance, I finally got rid of my copy of Goldmember and then got a nice new copy of Pirates of the Caribbean. Total cost of the refresh - 99 cents. Thats hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up with all the LONG WAIT and SHORT WAIT in the queue?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long Wait are titles in high demand. More people want those DVDs than there are copies in the Peerflix network. Short wait are titles that are readily available and, as the name suggests, should be getting to you shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am quitting Blockbuster online for the last time. I had a one-at-a-time plan just so I could easily exchange a mailed-to-me-movie in the store (often times on a Tuesday for a New Release).

    They have now changed their in-store exchange policy to where that new store-rented movie counts as a rental on your online account. That is, they won't mail your next movie until you return the new one to the store!

    What the heck?? Blockbuster's shipping here in Las Vegas has always been two days there, two days back: Horrible! Especially when compared to Netflix: one there, one back. The in-store exchange helped even the playing field. Now, however, it's worse than it's ever been. A person would be better off just getting an unlimited in-store plan, even a COMBO plan that is for movies OR games.

    That's why Netflix is still the best...
    Walt D in LV

    ReplyDelete