Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Things that make you feel stupid

A friend of mine, whose identity I'm protecting, accidentally returned her own personal copy of a movie to Netflix, by mistake. She removed it from the DVD player, put it in the Netflix sleeve, then into the Netflix envelope, sealed it, and put it in the mail, before she realized it was her own movie. She discovered the one she had rented from Netflix still sitting on the TV.

She contacted me in a panic, but I told her I doubted anything could be done. I described to her the process each disc goes through at each Netflix distribution center. They are not shelved. They are not catalogued. They are scanned once, which is when you get credit for the return, and thrown in a bin before lunch. After lunch, they are scanned again, relabelled with their new destination address, and thrown in another bin. From there, they go into the custody of the United States Postal Service. There is no way anyone at Netflix can put their fingers on a specific disc without looking at the contents of every sleeve. They process tens of thousands of discs per day.

This is from their FAQ:
Q: I sent back a personal CD or DVD accidentally. How do I get it back?
A: Unfortunately there is no way for us to save it aside and return it to you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure they are supposed to check each disc as it comes in, but in reality, that doesn't happen. I bet the next subscriber to request that movie will get the wrong disc, which is when Netflix will have a chance to correct the problem. I'm guessing their staff is under pressure to process everything rapidly. Removing each disc from the sleeve, making sure it's the right one, and checking for damage, doesn't get done as often as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True.

    My friend said she received confirmation from Netflix that her DVD was returned, even though the sleeve contained the wrong movie. She received no indication that anyone had checked the contents. She still has the Netflix DVD (without its sleeve). She could return it, without the sleeve, but why? They won't recognize it without its identifying information. They believe she's already returned it.

    I agree with you, that they should be able trace it back to her when the next customer complained. I do not know why they do not do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They could add a feature on the website called "I just noticed I sent the wrong disc in" which would red flag the incoming scan so tell the scanner to look at the disc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe this thread is real. Why would one have an original movie and order another from Netflix? Why would one just have their own movie lying about to be placed in a wrong envelope? Where did this person reside, the state mental institution? Whats so special about the first DVD vs. the second DVD anyway? I can only imagine this blog was started to talk about how Netfix keeps their orders straight. I'm afraid that Netflix won't tell us for the same reasons stated above. A person would start sending blank DVDs back and keeping the originals for their own video library if they could beat the system.

    ReplyDelete