Wednesday, October 26, 2005

"Brand blogs" in New York Times article

This New York Times article surveys several of the different brand names that have blogs about them, like Netflix, Barq's root beer, Gatorade, Walt Disney, Starbucks, and Trader Joe's. They interviewed me for this article, but I didn't get quoted, because I requested anonymity. Ah, the sacrifices I make. You can't be anonymous and famous at the same time. However, our good buddy Mike Kaltschnee, of Hacking Netflix, got himself quoted and linked in the NEW YORK TIMES. Way to go, Mike!

Here's the excerpt about Netflix:

some companies are starting to pay attention to blogs, using them as a kind of informal network of consumer opinion.

"In addition to viewing blogs as another media channel, it allows us to keep our pulse on the marketplace," said Ken Ross, a vice president of Netflix, the movie rental company based in Los Gatos, Calif. One of the best-known blogs about Netflix, hackingnetflix.com, was started last November by Mike Kaltschnee, who lives in Danbury, Conn.

"I post anything I find interesting, and it turns out 100,000 people a month find it interesting, too," said Mr. Kaltschnee. He also started a blog about Trader Joe's, the specialty grocery chain based in Monrovia, Calif., at trackingtraderjoes.com.

When it comes to Netflix service, postings about scratched discs or torn return envelopes generate dozens of comments from readers. "It's sort of like the unadulterated truth about Netflix," Mr. Kaltschnee said. "We hope that Netflix reads these things and notices trends and fixes them."

Read more

My favorite brand blog, besides my own, is this Wal-mart blog.

6 comments:

  1. Alas, I was not even asked to be interviewed.

    Thanks for the props, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We hope that Netflix reads these things and notices trends and fixes them."

    Mike K. comment is far from the truth. I believe he posted Netflix issues then had shills chime in to deny them. Take broken rentals for example. Netflix shills would post that there wasn't a problem. Netflix shills would say I lied about all the broken rentals I received. Take throttling for example. A slew of Netflix shills hammered my report of throttling as lies. Later Netflix admitted to the practice. Take for example the "Nearest Netflix Shipping Facility" incident. Posters on HackingNetflix vehemently denied rentals were being returned out of state-some cases across country. Mike has been using his site as damage control.

    "Potential customers will learn about Netflix's problems. Next, Netflix will correct their problems."

    Sound familiar? I've had this on my web site for years now. All the sudden, It's Mike's line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, Mike. Manuel's comments and beliefs about you and Netflix are completely unfounded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, I've become the target of Mike's brutal attacks and harassment. Let's not turn Netflix Fan into a carousing HackingNetflix free-for-all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The previous comment was deleted because it was spam.

    ReplyDelete