Saturday, November 26, 2005

Need suggestions for how to get Netflix movies when your mailbox is too small

WindyCityMike writes:

I was wondering if I might either pick your brain, or pick the brains of my fellow readers should you choose to publish this. In the past, I had Netflix delivered to me at my workplace. However, I recently began work at a company that has a policy that discourages its employees from receiving personal mail at work (I've not been there long enough to know whether the policy is actually carried out). As I live in an apartment building, my apartment's mailbox is too small to accept a Netflix DVD, and it does not have a bin (not that I'd feel safe leaving DVDs unattended anyway). And the property manager's answer, leaving packages with the custodian at my building, is a less-than-optimal solution due to the frequency upon which I would need to bother him. So, how do I get my Netflix movies delivered to me? The only other solution I can think of is to rent a mailbox at a nearby UPS Store or a Kinko's. However, if someone can think of a less expensive or more palatable response, I'd be appreciative. Any ideas on how best to resolve the situation?

Mike

3 comments:

  1. I was in a similar situation so I used a PO Box. It helped the Post Office was 2 block from my apartment, though. I could always pick up the movies on the way to work or on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, my thanks to Rose for posting my quesiton.

    NetflixGroupie, my magazines are flexible enough to curve around the inside of the mailbox; the Netflix DVD is hard, and thus cannot bend.

    Daniel, thanks for the idea. It turns out that my post office at my new apartment is relatively close, and it might be a more feasible alternative than I had originally thought. Now I just need to make sure that their post office boxes are usually accessible ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turns out that my employer actually does allow personal mail to be delivered at work. My membership's been reactivated and DVDs are on their way towards me as we speak. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete