Wednesday, January 18, 2006

America in Ten Movies

Sal says:
You have to explain America to someone from not here, but you can only use ten movies to do it. Which ten do you choose?

(Now, these do not have to be history movies, they can illustrate something unique about American values or character or “the American experience”).

Here's my list, with links to their listings on Netflix:

High Noon (1952)
Gone With The Wind (1939)
Avalon (1990)
Louisiana Story (1948)
Mr Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
12 Angry Men (1957)
In the Heat of the Night (1967)
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music (1970)
Mean Streets (1973)
All the President’s Men (1976)

Via Listology

Inspired by Sal's comment on this post

6 comments:

  1. 1. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
    2. Smokey & The Bandit
    3. Super Size Me
    4. Fried Green Tomatoes
    5. Office Space
    6. The Godfather
    7. Cold Mountain
    8. Rudy
    9. Dazed & Confused
    10. Police Acadamy 5

    I wanted to touch on some major American subject matter (Drugs, War, Crime, Sports, Capitalism, Slavery) while keeping it inspirational and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Your America has alot more fat people in it than mine. Thanks for contributing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't do this. Ten is not enough! I am going to stick mostly with historical movies, since that is my taste. I feel like there needs to be more classics in there though. It depends on if you are trying to show America or Americana. I feel like these movies would give the most info about who we are.

    1. Once Upon a Time in the West
    2. The Patriot (Mel Gibson, not Segal)
    3. Blue and the Gray (The only Civil War movie that is even remotely close to historically accurate.)
    4. Cinderella Man
    6. Band of Brothers
    7. The Godfather
    8. The Natural
    9. Scarface (has to be the best drug movie.)
    10. National Lampoons Vacation

    Honorable Mentions:
    The Passion of the Christ
    Crash
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Citizen Kane
    Hoosiers
    Rudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I can't count. Looks like I only had nine. Just take your pick from the honorable mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I have 53 movies that reflect the true essence of living in America on my new website DVDIDEAS.com

    Check my USA list
    Hope you like it..

    Best regards,

    Ziv

    ReplyDelete